U Visa: Immigration Help for Survivors of Domestic Violence and Other Crimes


If you have been a victim of a crime in the United States, can your immigration case turn around completely?


If you have been a victim of a crime in this country, you may qualify for a work permit. To protect people who are undocumented and help them ensure that their immigration status is not an impediment to reporting the crimes of which they are victims, the government created U VISAS.

These visas are special visas for people who have been victims of a crime, such as domestic violence, assault or sexual crimes, among others. However, it must be taken into account that not every crime qualifies for you to be eligible for a U Visa. Also, a very important requirement is to have called the police to report the crime, and to have collaborated with the police with the investigation of the crime. that you reported.

If your U Visa is approved, in some cases you can include some members of your family and they and you will receive a work permit that will give you the opportunity to apply for permanent residence upon reaching the third year of having the U Visa.

For more information related to obtaining a U Visa, call the offices of Atlanta Attorney Angélica Tovar-Hastings immediately at 470.207.5333.

DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article is intended to provide general information and in no event does it represent a guarantee of approval of your legal case nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Attorney Angélica Tovar-Hastings