With all the changes happening with immigration laws, it is always important to have temporary custody of your children arranged in case you have to face arrest and deportation.

The most important thing is that you talk to your children first and let them know of the possibility that you will be away for a while. Let them know who the person you will leave in charge will be so they are prepared too.

What is Power of Attorney?

You can talk to an attorney to have a power of attorney, or commonly called a “power of attorney,” signed in case of deportation so that a family member or trusted person can help you care for your children while you resolve your deportation case.

Make sure the person you leave in charge signs the power of attorney as well and has a copy in case you need to use it. It is good to clarify that this power does not affect your rights as the father or mother of your children, you will continue to have custody of your children.

You will simply authorize a responsible person to care for your children, check them in and/or pick them up from school, and make medical and other important decisions if you cannot make them from where you are.

If you or a family member want more information about this, contact the office of Attorney Angélica Tovar at 470.207.5333 or follow us on Facebook.


DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article is intended to provide general information and in no event does it represent a guarantee of approval of your legal case nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Attorney Angélica Tovar-Hastings