Did you know?

If you are the parent of a child born out of wedlock, you may not have visitation rights under Georgia law.

Under Georgia law, a father who has children without having married the mother does not have the same rights to those children as if they were born within the marital union.

However, the law does impose the obligation to pay child support or maintenance for the child. The mother can therefore legally impose child support and at the same time deny her visits with her child, without violating the law.

If you want to have the right to custody and visitation with your children born out of wedlock, you must begin a legitimation process in court. Through this process, the judge can grant you custody and visits with your child.

If you are in this situation, you should begin this legitimation process as soon as possible. Remember that for this procedure it does not matter your immigration status.

For more information, contact the immigration attorney in Atlanta: Attorney Angelica Tovar Hastings.


DISCLAIMER: The information contained in this article is intended to provide general information and in no event does it represent a guarantee of approval of your legal case nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between the reader and Attorney Angélica Tovar-Hastings